Thursday, November 1, 2012

System didn't back me in the past - Marlon Samuels

Marlon Samuels has said he didn't get the selectors' backing in the first decade of his career even though he had some good runs with the bat. Samuels has experienced a revival in his career after being reinstated in the team in 2011, culminating in the Man-of-the-Match winning performance in the World Twenty20 final earlier this month.


"I will insist that I wasn't allowed to [live up to my potential]," Samuels told the Indian Express. "I have had some good runs with the bat in the past too. But the system back home didn't let me build on them. I wasn't selected consistently enough."

"They're trying to back me again since my return. That's what they should have done back in 2002. Nevertheless, it's never too late. I am a survivor. A fighter. And once the sun rises from the darkness, the rainbow I see is red, green and gold."

Samuels was banned for two years in 2008 for "receiving money, or benefit or other reward that could bring him or the game of cricket into disrepute". Before the suspension, his average crossed the 30-mark only in ODIs. In the thirteen Tests since his return, he has averaged 50.25 and has also improved his ODI and Twenty20 averages. He has struck three centuries in all formats since his return.

No comments:

Post a Comment