Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ramdin ready for Zimbabwe challenge

Denesh Ramdin, the West Indies wicketkeeper, said he is mentally and physically ready for the ODI series against Zimbabwe. Ramdin, who was left out of the ODI team for the Bangladesh and Australia tours, replaced Devon Thomas in the squad.



"My form is 'there' and I am feeling confident with the bat and I have been working twice as hard to make sure I get runs when I'm out in the middle," Ramdin said. "Behind the stumps I worked overtime to make sure that I was fit and ready when the selectors called on me."

Ramdin was part of the team that won the World Twenty20 title and travelled to Bangladesh for the Test series, but Thomas replaced him in the ODI series that followed. Thomas managed 48 runs in five innings in Australia forcing the selectors to recall Ramdin.

Ramdin, who has played 94 ODIs since making his debut in 2005, said he was clear on his role within the team.

"While I was out I did a lot of work on all areas of my game. I think my role with the bat is mainly to hit the ball in the gaps, run really hard between the wickets and accumulate good scores for the team.
"There are other guys in the team, like Kieron Pollard and Andre Russell, who have the power to clear the boundaries and other guys who can come and hit the ball down at the bottom. So basically, I see myself as someone to keep things ticking and look to bat through the end once I get that chance."

The first ODI of the three-match series will be played at St. George's on February 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment